Final Days for Soccer Team

“My bonnie lies over the ocean, my bonnie lies over the sea…” sings the student section. This is just one of many classic KCC cheers led by a few students dressed in various animal costumes, otherwise known as Crowd Control.

The boys soccer team went to the state championships in both 2011 and 2012. However, the loss in the second round of regionals means the team will not have the chance to defend their state titles this year.

“You can’t dictate the way things happen, but you can dictate you attitude toward the circumstances,” senior Nate Starcev said. “After realizing my high school soccer career was over, I realized I was so fortunate to be able to play soccer for the school I do and how lucky I was to be able to play soccer with the senior guys on our team.”

For the five seniors whose high school soccer days have now ended, they hold onto the pleasant memories of their time spent on and off the field with their team.

“I think the team grew this year both as players and as friends,” senior Mitchell Pivovar said. “I also saw chemistry build as the season went along. By the end of the season we were giving our all for our teammates.”

Soccer proved to be a tool for not only increasing physicality, but also building friendship between players.

“It made me have to care for my teammates and I would now do anything for them,” senior Patrick MacEldowney said. “This year’s team had a great group of guys that held you accountable for mistakes on and off the field.”

The end of the season is bittersweet for the soccer players. The team’s first game of regionals resulted in a win against Heritage Christian Academy.

“The game against Heritage Christian was one of the best games we played all season,” MacEldowney said. “That was very encouraging for me to see considering where we were at the start of the year.”

Though tears were shed after the second regionals game, the players left the game on the field and were met by a welcoming and supportive crowd.