Review: Maroon 5 Halftime Show

Review: Maroon 5 Halftime Show

Molly Miller, Staff Writer

On Sunday, February 3, over 100 million people are expected to watch the 53rd Super Bowl, along with the halftime show. The halftime show of the super bowl needed to boost the energy of the fans as the score during half was a low 3-0 with the New England Patriots leading ahead of the Rams. Adam Levine and Maroon 5 came out strong, but then quickly sputtered out by the end of the show, which left everyone in the stadium and at home wanting more. There were some surprises along the way, but overall Maroon 5 fell short and delivered a less than average performance.

Most years the halftime show performance is a coveted spot, but this year it was surrounded by controversy. This caused Cardi B, Rihanna and others to turn down the opportunity to perform. Maroon 5 was the last choice and their fans petitioned them not to perform, but they took the offer anyway, and promised a controversy free performance. Adam Levine opened with the song “Makes me wonder”, with fireworks and flames for a flashy opening. He quickly lost the interest of the crowd, as him and his band failed to bring energy to the stage. Travis Scott helped revive the performance when he entered the stage singing “Sicko Mode.” However, that energy quickly faded as Adam Levine took back control of the stage. Another exciting moment was when famous Atlanta rapper Big Boi entered the stage and got the crowd going again. Travis Scott and Big Boi gave Maroon 5’s performance a much needed boost and contributed as much as they could. The show came to a dis-satisfying end as Adam Levine stripped down, baring all his tattoos while singing his 2010 hit “Moves like Jagger.”

Adam Levine tried his best and gave it his all during his performance. There were still some highlights of his show and Maroon 5 is still considered a well respected band. There were still plenty of  people that enjoyed the show, but others only have negative things to say about is. The halftime show was not a complete disaster, but Maroon 5 did not meet the high expectations of everyone watching.