The Good, the Bad, the Flour Baby

The Good, the Bad, the Flour Baby

Alysia Wagner, Staff Writer

An ongoing American high school staple is the long-standing tradition of a fake baby being taken care of by students, is continued at Kansas City Christian School in the Marriage and Family Class. These students are required to care for a 5lb bag of flour, and treat it as a real person. Each student involved is either fake married, single, or even divorced to another student, trading the baby either day to day or week to week with each other, sharing the baby and all of the mishaps it may bring.  

Some key rules for the assignment are finding prices for the formula and other baby needs, as well as never leaving the baby unintended, which may require a babysitter. It seems that the hardest part of the assignment is waking up several times through the night to feed the “crying” baby.

“One night a week we have to set an alarm every three hours, wake up, go down to the kitchen with the baby, and take a picture to prove we got up with the baby,” senior Carly Connealy said. “I don’t think this will be very fun.”

Students dress the baby in clothes, baby hats, and blankets to make the experience more real. A few students plan to construct a family vlog instead of taking pictures. These pictures and vlog are shared with Mr. Barker, to give evidence that this baby was well taken care of.

“I am super excited [and] pumped to have a kid,” senior Hudson Young said. Young, his ex-wife, and his ex-wife’s husband, will be making a family vlog of the events with the baby. “Whenever we do something significant with the baby such as driving in the car, going to target. …we will vlog it. Going to the park. … vlog. Waking up at three a.m. … vlog.”

Students construct a schedule with their assigned husband or wife in order to care for the baby properly. A few families are: Molly Miller and Cameron Robinson with their baby girl,Lulu; Kennedy Kosic and Eli Wagner with a baby boy,Thomas; Cooper Rovenstine and Carly Connelly with a baby girl; Hudson Young, divorced to Rachel Rigler, who married Mark Trujillo (the stepfather), now sharing their baby girl; and Libby Paul and Carter Schuchardt with a baby boy.

Mishaps play a key factor during the three weeks with the baby, by effecting their grade with any small mistake, which can lead to a few points deducted. There have been reports of flour baby neglect, forgotten flour babies, and occurrences where the flour bags have been torn.

“Within like two hours of buying my flour baby, I left it on the dining room table and my mom picked up the flour bag and poked a hole in it,” senior Sophie Brock said.

“It was hard to always keep track of it [on the first day],” junior Kennedy Kosic said. “There was one time, I left it in the spanish room, and walked away without it. Then I remembered it was in there.”

The use of flour bags as children in Marriage and Family has been at KCC for a while, and is still used today as it has proven to be less of a distraction, work with the school’s budget, and is just the right amount of weight for a student to carry.

“There is the responsibility factor, and sets an example for what it would be like to have your own child, the expectations and responsibilities that come with it,” said Marriage and Family teacher Jared Barker. . He also believes that flour bags are the perfect object to use and hopes the students learn important lessons from the assignment.

Students are trusted to watch over their baby at all times, while keeping their recorded daily schedule. Although this assignment seems like a fun experience, a small mistake can end up affecting your grade.

“My baby got taken away because I left it in the highschool hub- but I had to go move my car because the neighbors called the police again, and I forgot my baby on the table and because it was on the table, it was given to the office,” senior Cooper Rovenstine said. “I got my baby back, and two points off my grade.”