God Bless Techies

God Bless Techies

Kayli Slayden, Staff Writer

The stage is set, the lights are bright, the curtain opens, and the show starts.

A good theatrical production can have an audience spellbound from the first music note, but it’s not until the first scene concludes that the real magic begins.

When the curtain is pulled shut and the spotlights dim, the stage becomes a whirlwind of silent, rehearsed chaos. Behind the heavy, blue fabric that obstructs the audience’s view, the set crew transforms the stage and transports the show to a completely different setting.

Clad in black and equipped with a headset, sophomore Alex Wilson led the set crew as stage manager during KCC’s fall musical, The Sound of Music.

“I’m the one who knows everything—when things move. I help out a little bit, but I mostly just tell people what to do. I’m kind of like the put-it-all-together person, and I have the crew, who are the ones who actually move the stuff.” Wilson said. “I’m kind of a backstage director.”

Wilson’s responsibilities don’t end there, though. In addition to being there for her crew, she’s also there for the actors and actresses. Mic tape, a script, and safety pins are just a few of the things that she always keeps with her in case of emergency.

Everything in the show revolves around Wilson’s cues, including the lighting elements.

Sophomores Lottie Vickers and Morgan Holmes, or the ‘Ladies of the Lights’ as they have named themselves, are in charge of running the main lighting features and the spotlight, respectively.

“I put the spotlight on the lead singers so your eye goes to them. It makes it [the actors and their actions] more noticeable, and it also blocks out background stuff that might be happening.” Holmes said. “And then, I have to change the colors and stuff, and the colors help set a mood during certain songs.”

Vickers’s task responds accordingly to the scene’s atmosphere as well.

“Running the lights-I open and close the lights when a new scene starts, sometimes I dim them if the mood requires it, or make them blue.” She laughed and added, “I also have to remember not to turn off one set of lights, because that’s for the stage crew…sometimes I do that, and they’ve been very patient with me.”

Wilson, Vickers, and Holmes are only some of the many students that carry the technical aspects of the show on their shoulders. A set doesn’t change by itself, and there are a handful of students, and even cast members, that make sure everything is in place before the curtain opens.

“[I rely on the tech crew] a lot,” producer Brian Miller said. “Especially this time. A lot of times I get to be backstage, and I help them out, but this one [for this show] I have to rely on them wholly, because I have to go run sound. So, right now, I have put the entire show in their hands, so if it goes or doesn’t go, it’s all on them.”

There’s no question that the techies are vital to the entire show process, and most of the cast knows it.

Sophomore Grace LaGue’s one message to the tech crew was, “I love them, they are extremely appreciated, and that the show wouldn’t be a show without them.”