Review: Christopher Robin

Noah Buresh, Web Editor

Nostalgia is a powerful emotion, driving many to relive old passions and loves when it is experienced. For many, revisiting beloved characters and stories reminiscent from childhood are key components in experiencing nostalgia. Disney’s newest movie, Christopher Robin, invokes a childhood sense of folly and wonder as Winnie-the-Pooh hits the big screen for the first time in seven years. Following the story of an aged Christopher Robin, the movie delivers a message on the importance of family and the ingenuity in simplistic thinking.

The film follows the story of a middle-aged Christopher Robin, no longer romping around the Hundred Acre Wood as in the days of his youth, but now has a grown-up job and a family. Struggling with balancing work and family, Christopher receives an unexpected visit in London from Pooh-Bear, who encourages him to learn how to play again. His interactions with Pooh and his old friends remind him of the importance of his family and sets him on an adventure to reignite his childhood creativity and joy that was lost in his work.

Ewan McGregor shines as the titular character of Christopher Robin. His performance draws the audience into the struggle of balancing work and fun. Jim Cummings lends his voice as the loveable Winnie-the-Pooh. His simple quotes and love of fun provoke non-stop laughter, but can also bring a somber tone to the movie. The rest of the cast brings the rest of Pooh’s friends to life in a unique way that is sure to captivate audiences all around.

A truly heartwarming film, Christopher Robin helps reignite childhood dreams and sense of joy. Winnie-the-Pooh gets his chance to continue to capture the hearts of audiences for a new generation of kids, while also pleasing adults who have treasured him for years. I would highly recommend you get to a theater as soon as possible to enjoy this film and return to the Hundred Acre Wood. It’s waiting for you to come play!