Boys Soccer vs. Barstow

Noah Buresh, Web Editor

On Tuesday, September 11th, KCC took on the Barstow Knights in a home soccer match. The Panthers came came out victorious 2-0, largely contributed by the two goals scored by junior Ben Pivovar.

“It was nice to score those two goals for the team,” Pivovar said. “But it was the combined efforts of the team, so I’m proud of how we possessed and played.”

The Panthers started the game in their standard formation, but saw that the opposing offense was finding holes in the defense. In order to counter this, assistant coach Seth Turner decided to switch the boys around so they could have more room to possess.

“The new formation gave us more movement in the middle,” junior Andrew Brannon said. “We also had more bodies in the middle to play defense so we wouldn’t get beat as easily.”

The first half ended with the score remaining 0-0. The Panthers came out playing hard the second half, possessing the ball and controlling the game with several shots on frame, and several saves by the Barstow goalkeeper. However, Ben Pivovar allowed the Panthers to pull ahead with a goal in the 55th minute, assisted by senior Sam Swaistyn, and followed up with another goal in the 57th minute.

“The pass by [Sam Swaistyn] was really good,” Pivovar said. “We had a good connection so we got the goal to get the lead. My second goal was sort of lucky with the keeper missing it, but I’m glad it gave us a stronger lead.”

The Panthers continued to hold a strong line in the defense, working on pushing the outside backs up. Brannon enjoyed the distance that he and senior Owen Veer were able to push up the field to support the offense.

“It was really nice to be able to get some offensive freedom,” Brannon said. “We were really controlling [the ball] so the defense could get more involved upfield.”

At the final whistle, the Panthers had held the Knights scoreless. The team hopes to continue to keep the momentum with this conference victory into the rest of the season. The Panthers will play at home on September 24 against the De Soto Wildcats.