A successful showing

Caleb Kern, Staff Writer

The KCC production of A Murder is Announced is concluded after three wonderful showings and performances by the student actors. From a magic show to a live audience poll the performance show was all put on by KCC students and directors Brian and Leah Miller.

The night began with a performance by aspiring magician, junior Joby Jobson, who put the crowd in awe with his amazing card tricks. This was the first time a KCC play has ever had an opening act before one of its performances.

“I got to perform the tricks I practiced for months, and I’m pleased to say that I did not mess up,” Jobson said. “I also quite enjoyed interacting with multiple volunteers each night, and getting to meet new people through magic.”

Since the theme of the play was a murder mystery, the drama department thought it’d be a great idea to get people guessing who commited the crime. To do this they created a live poll for the audience to text who they thought was the murderer was at intermission. Junior George Beatty, who played Edmund Swettenham in the play and helped construct the poll, commented on the addition of the poll.

“The live poll was another way the audience could be an active audience, it kept them invested in the play, not only passively as watching, but staying engaged to it over intermission,” Beatty said.

Performing in a school play can be a unique experience for some who love acting but don’t get the opportunity to perform as often as they’d like. KCC has many talented actors and actresses, and getting to perform in front of their own peers is an exceptional experience for them to cherish forever.

“This was my first KCC play with a main role, and it was very nice to finally perform after so many hours of practicing,” sophomore Chase Hill said. “ It was fun for my friends and family to finally see what I’d been working on.”

With a smaller cast of people, the group becomes very tight knit after their many long nights of rehearsal. They get to share time with new people, and get to know and support each other throughout the duration of the play. They then get to put on an amazing show together for all their hard work to pay off.

“The community at KCC is really important and getting to meet people outside of your friend group is really good to do.” freshman Aria Gatchell said.