Basketball Recap: Van Horn

Two Friday nights ago the Panthers had their second to last away game on the season, it was hosted by the Van Horn Falcons. The night consisted of JV Boys, Varsity Girls, and then Varsity Boys. This was a big game for the varsity boys with it being their first without head coach Adam Runyan.

“I think Poteet did a really good job, I know it’s hard to coach in general but especially the first time did as head coach.” Senior Michael Holst said.

Assistant Josh Woodward and Athletic Director Josh Poteet took over as coaches for Friday’s game. Although they fell to the Falcons, the team performed well and played with effort and intensity.

“There wasn’t a moment where the game got a way from us, we always kept playing, and even though it was disappointing because they were getting blown out, “Holst said, “I was impressed by the fact that they were still trying ad playing good basketball and not trying to do anything outside of themselves.”

The Varsity Girls’ also fell to the Falcons on February 16th. The overall atmosphere of the game was loud and hype but the excitement from fans who traveled to come see them play wasn’t enough to get a win for the lady panthers.

“I think the girls work great as a team,” assistant coach Erica Wilson said. “The things they do off the court has brought them closer together on it and has helped them understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses.”

The varsity girls played a hard-fought game focusing on small achievements. Their goal was to work on communicating as a team on the court and making both passes and shots more accurate.

“There strongest points are their ability to work together and pass the ball and take the right shot,” Wilson said. “One of the weakest comes with time and their basketball sense, we have a young team this year and knowing the game comes with time and games. They improved on this already throughout the year and I am excited to see this improve in the years to come.”

The Varsity Girls’ played their last game, first regionals, of the 2017-18 school year season on February 26th in Pittsburg, Kansas. The panthers will be traveling to St. Mary’s-Colgan High School to play their second regional game on Friday, February 2nd.