Do Not Disturb

Everywhere you go, you’re bound to see people on their phones. At the grocery store, restaurants, school, and even in the car. I think it’s safe to say that almost every person over the age of 15 owns a cell phone. We carry them everywhere, and without them we don’t know what to do. But is this damaging to our relationships?

Over the summer I went to Kanakuk. Here, there are no electronics allowed and it was one of the most refreshing experiences. As soon as you get there, you hand over your phone or leave it with your mom and say goodbye to it for two weeks. At first, all I could think about was how much I wish I had my phone so I could take a video of something funny happening, or look something up when I couldn’t remember the name of it. The first day or so I thought a lot about my phone, but then the days started to pass and I almost forgot about my phone entirely. It didn’t bother me that I didn’t have it and I was so happy to just be in the moment with my new friends. I was able to unplug from the world of celebrities and worrying about what other people were doing. This was one of the first times where I really stopped to think about how much my phone mattered to me.

Taking time without my phone was so refreshing. When I didn’t have it with me, I realized how little I actually needed it. Of course, having a phone is incredibly useful and helpful, but I think sometimes we tend to put ourselves in a position where our phones become a part of our relationships and conversations. Constantly having our phones with us can easily distract us and take us away from being with the people around us, but what would it look like if we put our phones away and stayed present with people?

I think oftentimes we feel like we have to be checking in with the people texting us or the content on our social medias. When we get bored we pull out our phones to check up on Kim Kardashian and Kanye, when we could be checking up on the people around us. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely enjoy having a phone and I won’t be getting rid of it anytime soon, but I believe that it gets in the way of a lot of things.

If you haven’t ever taken a break from your phone, even for a few hours in a day, I would definitely recommend it. Having a phone is great, but I think you’ll be amazed at the things that you notice when you swipe to “do not disturb.”