Review: “Murder on the Orient Express”

What starts out as a lavish train ride through Europe quickly unfolds into one of the most stylish, suspenseful and thrilling mysteries ever told. Written first as a book in 1934 by well-known author Agatha Christie and adapted into a movie in 1974 by director Sidney Lumet, “Murder on the Orient Express” has become a very classy, riveting remake.

The first time I saw the original movie I was probably in the sixth grade, and at that point I was all about mystery books like “Nancy Drew” and shows like “Scooby Doo.” The movie was very entertaining and created that suspenseful, thrilling feeling that you get when everything is uncertain.The plot is a classic whodunit, with all the clues planted and every single one of them visible if you know where to look.

I really enjoyed the remake of the movie based on the book published in 1934. The cast and costumes eccentric choices in crafting his characters added the effect of it really being in the 1930s. Although I do think that the 1974 film provided more of a background on the Armstrong kidnapping, which is what the whole story revolves around and incorporates how everyone connects. The colorful acting created a sense that viewers really knew the Armstrongs, and the feeling that they went through during the tragic loss of Daisy alongside them.

The book contains numerous unique characters that are introduced and seem to have nothing in common whatsoever. After being introduced, they have to be kept alive long enough to be able to find the murderer among too many other people confined in a claustrophobic railway car. The complicated plot is unraveled and explained towards the end of the book/movie that leaves audiences with jaws dropped and minds blown. The directors of both movies do an excellent job of making sure audiences never l, even for a moment, feel confused, unless we are supposed to feel confused.

I would definitely recommend going to see this movie to get to the bottom of this 70+ year old classic murder mystery. Then go watch and read the original movie based off of the book!