The student news site of Kansas City Christian School

Music man takes the stage

Senior+Nolen+Wright+gets+his+face+painted+yellow+in+preparation+for+his+role+as+the+Cowardly+Lion.+
Senior Nolen Wright gets his face painted yellow in preparation for his role as the Cowardly Lion.

On Saturday Nov. 5th, senior Nolen Wright walked into Olathe East High School to try out for one of the five District Honor Bands in Kansas. From the middle of July to Nov. 5th, Wright practiced two pieces of music for his audition for about an hour to an hour and a half each day.

Wright made the District Honor Band. He will perform a concert with them in December and will be eligible to tryout for all state band.

Wright’s music career started on the clarinet in 6th grade. The following year, he switched to the saxophone.

“One of my friends was getting yelled at by the band director because he wasn’t showing up to any of the jazz band practices even though he said he would play,” Wright said. “He was just screaming at him, and I was like, ‘Okay, okay I’ll play for you instead, forget him.’ He was like, ‘Alright.’”

Wright’s mother’s side of his family is all musically inclined, and she went college on a full ride for a band scholarship. Wright would also like to pursue music post-high school, even if it’s not a full time gig.

“I would like to double major in business and music. Just playing in bars every night sounds awesome. But like I don’t think I could support a family off playing in bars.” Wright said. “Gotta be a little realistic at times.”

Not only does Wright play the saxophone, he was also recently starred in his first ever musical. Last year he played in the band for the school musical, but this year he landed one of the lead roles as the Cowardly Lion in the KCC production of “The Wizard of Oz.”

“I love it! All the people in the musical, I like being around those people, so I was like ‘Why not tryout for the musical?’” Wright said.

Going on stage for the first time,  can be nerve-racking or terrifying but Wright had a different perspective.

“I came out and people started applauding, it really threw me off and I was like, ‘What? I haven’t done anything yet,’” Wright said.