Riverdale: The return of the Archie Comics

“Our story is about a town, a small town, and the people who live in the town.
From a distance, it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world Safe. Decent. Innocent.
Get closer, though, and you start seeing the shadows underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale.” actor Cole Sprouse said as the voice and character of Jughead Jones.

Riverdale has become a CW sensation to viewers of all ages. From intrigued teens to Archie comic fans who have come to see what the CW has done to retool the characters to fit into a murder mystery, drama filled series.  

Riverdale is a spin-off of the Archie Comics, published in 1941 with original characters, including Archie Andrews, Jughead Jones, Betty Cooper, and Veronica Lodge.

“Betty and Archie were kind of the middle class kids, everybody liked Betty because even though she wasn’t wealthy she was nice to everyone.” Social Studies teacher Deb Brown said. “Then Veronica and Reggie as being the really wealthy kids or entitled kids and so I think we se a lot of that in teenagers, also the way they behave. It is also a representative of one of the more unfortunate things in teens, the whole idea of we’re not friends because we don’t come from the same socio economic group.”

As Brown talks about the social classes of the teens in the show, it plays into teens throughout all different genres of shows and even teens in real life. Throughout television everyone has seen the cookie-cutter stereotypes that are often seen in teen dramas, they include the jock, the mean girl, the outcast, the goody-two-shoes.

Although there are definite forms of those characters in Riverdale, what the show has be able to do differently is give each of the archetypical characters more dimensions – which, overall, has led to way more interesting dynamics over the course of the show and how the characters have been able to develop along with each other and with what is happening around them. Much of how they act has been because of the development of themselves and the people around them.  

“The characters are like the stereotypical high school personalities, like everybody knows a Jughead,” math teacher Trent Tinker said. “Everybody has that friend who’s Betty or Veronica or Archie. There’s just some universal truths that just don’t change from generation to generation.”

In KCC, Riverdale has probably become one of the most popular and talked about shows around school. You can hear about it in the halls, the lunchroom, classrooms with both students and teachers. Students have even started to ‘assign’ look-a-likes from the show to students and teachers of KCC. This show has quite possibly turned each and every viewer into a Riverdale fanatic just by the end of the first episode. The suspense filled murder mystery gives it the enticement students are looking for. Not just another dramatic high school show but one that has suspense and cliff-hangers and leaves you wondering. And the characters in the show definetly represent what teens are like today and the struggles they go through with other students and how they interact with each other.

“What was interesting was that those 5 characters worked together on something but then went back to their own little worlds. Jughead was just there for the comic relief, as the class clown and I think we have those too.” Brown said. “Think if they do it well and it doesn’t become another teen soap opera and there’s something to that, that there might be some drama but also a good message along with it.”