The student news site of Kansas City Christian School

Cross Country runs again

Head Coach Lisa Cowan talks to the team before practice.

George Beatty, Staff Writer

School has come rolling around again this year, carrying cross country and other fall sports with it. There seems to be an air of excitement, and a healthy dose of dread, after school when practices start. In particular there seems to be a lot of excitement around this year’s cross country team.

“We increased in size, doubled our girls team’s size,” Head Coach Lisa Cowan said. “We got a lot of top quality runners out there and we also have a lot of new runners.”

Both the girls and boys Cross Country teams are hopeful for a great season.

“Last year our team was the beginning of a good team,” Junior Carly Connealy said.

Connealy is one of the team captains for the girls Cross Country team this year. She is optimistic that the combination of seasoned athletes and promising new talent will make for a great year.

“We got a bunch of new runners starting this year, and our team has grown a lot,” Connealy said. “I think we have a good chance this year.”

Senior Kyle Sykes, one of the team captains for the boy’s Cross Country team, is also optimistic.

“The potential we have this year as a team is a lot higher than we had last year.” Sykes said. “by the end of the season we will be a lot better than we were last year.”

On Thursday August 31, the cross country team had their first meet. The girl’s team got second overall, and Freshman Alysia Wagner took twelfth place and freshman Raegan Brookerd took eleventh place in the girl’s race.

“Last year we never really got that high up, so it was really exciting for the girls team,” Connealy said.

Cooper Mumford got first in the boys race and while the boys also got second overall, they were hoping for first overall.

“ I know a lot of us did not reach the goals that we had set for that meet,” Sykes said. “But the way we performed and placed definitely shows a lot of potential for the year.”

While it is good that both teams did well, the main focus of this first meet was to gain experience.

“The first few meets I just use as a kind of as a training day cause they’re important but not important at the same time,” Cowan said. “It sets a good tone for the kids, to kinda see what time frame they’re in and gives them goals to shoot for.”

The first meet seems to be mainly for gauging where everyone’s skill levels are, and where and how the teams can improve.

“Some of us obviously ran a lot faster than we thought we would have, but some of us didn’t run quite as fast as we were capable of,” Connealy said. “But it’s the first meet and you figure it out and you can see what you need to improve on for future meets.”

This was the same for the boy’s team.

“With so many new runners, it was really just more about getting that first race under your belt,” Sykes said.

Despite doing well at their first meet, the cross country teams are still eager to improve themselves and do their best at competition. The coaches recognize the talent and ability of their athletes, and have confidence that they can make it to state is they take it seriously enough.

“Boys and girls could both win state,” Assistant Coach John Ford said. “It just depends on how serious they take it.”