High school students run upper school retreats

Thursday and Friday, Youthfront Camp LaCygne hosted the annual KCC upper school retreats: on Thursday, 7th and 8th graders and their high school mentors; and Friday the 9th through 12th grades.  

On Thursday, middle schoolers and mentors alike were broken up between three teams: red, yellow, and blue. In the end, the yellow team took home the win.

“The winners get to go to Pizza Street with Mr. Poteet and a couple of us, and get to have lunch off-campus on a Friday,” middle school coordinator Madison Stewart said. “Which could go really well or really badly, but either way it’s going to be fun to be able to go off-campus and do something fun and special with your classmates.”

For the high schoolers acting as mentors, the day was all about getting to know their middle schoolers. HIgh schoolers are paired and given a small to medium sized group of middle schoolers that they will hang out with and mentor throughout the year.

“I’m really looking forward to getting to know the girls. [Day Newman and I] have five girls in our group, and they all seem like they somewhat know each other, but don’t know us that well,” junior Emma Carter said, “They seem really interested to get to know us, which is really awesome, and really interested to get to know each other,”      

“It was super cool, I’d seen these kids in the hallway all the time but had never actually known them or known their names,” senior Gabe Reid said, “They were really nice, especially the kids in my group. I feel like they’re really mature for their age.”

Along with starting to meet and mentor their younger counterparts, high school mentors took on such tasks as supervising events throughout the day and running the snack shop.

“They were there, they took their job very responsibly. Because of them, it was able to be a smooth day,” Stewart said, “The high schoolers really helped facilitate everything that we were hoping to do with the middle school retreat. Wherever there was a competition, there was a high school mentor there.”

The next day, on the high school retreat, they had to wake up early and practically relive the experience all over again with a few exceptions.

The switch from middle school retreat to high school retreat can be very exhausting.

“It’s fun [having back to back retreats] but very tiring.” junior Hudson Young said. “You go one day pumping kids up to actually competing in events. Besides the long trips down it’s really fun to be with two different groups of people in our one school.”

The high schoolers were divided into different teams of colors based on their grades. Freshmen were green, sophomores were blue, juniors were red, and seniors were black.

At the beginning of the retreat STUCO takes all the new students out into the lobby of the chapel while the rest of the high schoolers form a tunnel from the door to the stage for the new students to run through. As the new students run through the tunnel, STUCO co-president Ian Ko announced the names of all new students and faculty.

Once on stage, the Co-Presidents, Ko and senior Jess Steggerda, asked each person which kitchen utensil they would be.

“I was a little bit nervous because I heard they do something with the new kids, but it was actually kind of fun!” junior Annie James said.

This event was followed by classic KCC games such as four corners and song pop. The junior class won song pop.

The high school retreat had a limited number of activities going on, which is a change from retreats in the past. There was a total of 6 games: soccer, basketball, volleyball, ultimate spoons, spikeball, and ping pong.

“I like that the high school has few activities to do and that each class is a team. You work with your class to try and win the competitions,” Young said.

The competition ended with tug-of-war between the different classes.

The seniors won the retreat, per usual.

“[My favorite part was] winning, duh!” senior Ella Ochs said. “Winning tug of war against [Junior] Nathan Davis and his cleats was pretty good. That was pretty amazing, I felt very accomplished.”