In the shadow of the moon

In the shadow of the moon

The sun nearing total eclipse.

The sun nearing total eclipse.

The sun nearing total eclipse.

The sun nearing total eclipse.

The United States was thick with anticipation for the oncoming eclipse. Vacation days were filed, students pulled out of school, and millions of people hopped into their cars or on planes in order to catch a glimpse of the moon touching the sun.

In ancient Vietnam, some believed the sun was being eaten by a giant frog. Korean mythology claimed  that dogs were trying to steal the sun. The reality of it is truly no less fantastic: the earth and moon have to be in just the right position for an eclipse to happen. The moon crosses in front of our Sun, blocking its rays and turning daytime into nighttime. Planets and stars become visible, strange shadows dance on the ground, animals go quiet, and crickets begin to chirp.

Students at Kansas City Christian were looking forward to gathering outside together during lunch and watching the eclipse. But during first hour, rain started pouring and by second hour, the lights had gone out across the school. Fingers that were crossed hoping for a clear day soon uncrossed in dejection. The power didn’t come back on and students were sent home.

Luckily, the sun came out later that day and students were able to watch the magnificent phenomenon that is a total eclipse. People gathered on rooftops, in parks, sat on top of their cars, or in the middle of parking lots to stare up at the sky with flimsy eclipse glasses held to their eyes. The midwest was covered in the shadow of the moon and cicadas responded to the darkness, waking up and singing as they would when the sun sets. Street lights turned on, flowers closed, and birds began chirping. The clouds re-covered the sun shortly after totality in most parts of Kansas City, but what was seen was truly breathtaking. There was an eerie beauty to the world dimming in the middle of the daytime. A once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Well at least for some. Another total eclipse will be visible from most parts in Texas in 2024. Fingers crossed for a clear sky and gas money!  

Psalm 19:1 “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”