The New Worship Team

The New Worship Team

Michael Holst, Staff Writer

Next year, chapel will look very different. There is a new worship team forming for next year that will be leading all of the worship in chapel. The idea to form a worship group for chapel was suggested by Bible teacher Greg Owens.

“I prayed about it and felt like the Lord was saying that there’s a lot of talented students with lots of potential,” Owens said. “I wanted to give them an opportunity to explore their potential and to grow.”

While Owens suggested the idea, he wants the team to be led by the students.

“The goal is that within a year or two I’m not on stage at al and it’s completely student led,” Owens said. “Then the upperclassmen will be teaching the lowerclassmen.”

The team is going to do more than simply lead the worship in chapel however.

“We are going to have worship nights over the summer,” Owens said. “We’re going to have at least three different worship teams by the end of the year. Eventually we’re going to have students writing their own songs.”

Junior Abby Swafford is looking forward to writing original music and has enjoyed the worship nights a lot.

“The worship nights are really good,” Swafford said. “I’ve benefitted a lot from them”

The worship nights are at John Shirley’s house, pastor of Mosaic House Church. Shirley, along with his friend Jack Smithey, leads worship. After worship, they do what they call SEC, which stands for Strengthening, Encouraging, and Comforting, and pray that God will give words of SEC to speak into the students.

Swafford explained why she became interested in joining the worship team.

“I really wanted to be a part of the behind the scenes,”Swafford said. “I’m really close with the people doing it and Mr. Owens. I thought it would be a good way to get involved.”

She is excited for the role that she will play with the team next year.

“I’ll be supporting and helping people get ready for worship,” Swafford said. “But I’m nervous that I’ll get talked into singing which is out of my comfort zone.”