Eyes in the Dark debut at Californos

Eyes in the Dark debut at Californos

Hannah Peterson, Print Editor

The band opens facing a scene of tall pine trees surrounded by pendant light bulbs, and a crowd of roughly 50 people, featuring about ten KCC students to cheer on their classmates.

This was the band’s (“Eyes in the Dark”) debut and first ever live performance, taking place at Californo’s in Westport in a “Battle of the Bands,” on April 9.

Band teacher Trent Tinker suggested that they compete.

The band is comprised of senior Emmanuel Fleming as lead singer, junior JR Preciado on bass, sophomores Harrison Spencer on drums, and Jakob Swanson on lead guitar.

“The reason for us becoming a band was to compete in the battle of the bands, but at first I wasn’t going be in it cause I thought ‘there’s plenty of talent between the three of them,’ but Harrison and Jakob invited me to join,” Fleming said.

The supporting crowd of KCC students cheered loudly as Fleming sang his first few notes, opening with the song “Ain’t no sunshine.”

“Our first time performing live was exhilarating,” Fleming said. “One moment scared out of my mind, then the next moment seeing all our friends in the front row was kinda the best feeling ever. I’ve performed before but never like that, and it was the greatest thing I’ve ever experienced.”

The band played 4 songs, including one original, self-titled “Eyes in the Dark.”

The winner of the competition received 3 hours of studio recording time, and their single would be featured the radio station 90.9 “The Bridge.”