The student news site of Kansas City Christian School

Junior Toasts and Senior Roasts

Juniors Elise Gamble and Josh Kucera swing dance in the middle of the dance floor.

Olivia Price, Web Editor

Last Saturday, at 7 p.m. sharp, KCC’s upperclassmen began to file into Holbrook Country Club. They walked through the large front doors, down an elegant hallway, and into the room where the banquet was being held. The room was a sort of L shape, with students entering at the top of the L.  In the center of the front section, there were tables in a row, topped with silver dishes of Italian food. There was a second part of the room filled with 10 tables in a horseshoe surrounding a dance floor and facing a screen. That’s where later that night the Junior-Senior Roast video would be played. The tables here were adorned with pink and white floral arrangements made by sixth grade teacher Erin Loganbill.  And the final part of the decoration was in a third section of the room where a photobooth was set up. Students could put on masks, hats and other props and take pictures with their dates and friends.

Finally around 7:20, dinner began. As the students ate, the roast video was played. This video is a tradition where the juniors “play” the seniors and make fun of them in a loving way.

“I thought it was really good and very accurate, I thought it was good that they actually included everybody. It was as well made too,” senior Garrett Maddox said.

After everyone had laughed along with the video, senior class sponsor Allen Chugg gave his speech to inspire and send off the seniors. Then junior class secretary, the officer in charge of putting on the dance, Abby Swafford, addressed the crowd to thank everyone for coming and expressed appreciation for the senior class.

”I feel like it went really well. There was a lot of planning going into it and it all just kind of magically came together the day of,” Swafford said.

Afterward students milled around the edges of the dance floor, taking pictures at the photo booth or chatting with friends, Eventually people started to dance and finally everyone joined in, even some teachers. For example history teacher Deb Brown broke her famous dance move: the deb dab.

“I was the one who pushed her out there, I was like ‘Deb you are following your passion.’“, said Senior Olivia Baxter.

The night ended with everyone dancing along to the closing song from High School Musical, “We’re all in this together.” After that, students filed out and went to their respective after parties, with the seniors going to senior Damara Beck’s house and the juniors going to junior Annelise Madderom’s house.

Overall, the months of planning paid off.

“I really liked it, it went really smoothly.. and I loved the video. It was awesome,” senior Jake Linville said.