Teacher Throwback: Kelsey Moore

Teacher Throwback: Kelsey Moore

A photo of Mrs. Moore from high school.

A photo of Mrs. Moore from high school.

A photo of Mrs. Moore from high school.

A photo of Mrs. Moore from high school.

George Beatty, Staff Writer

Q:Where did you grow up?

A:“I grew up in Shawnee, Kansas at 75th and Nieman.”

Q:What was your group of friends like in high school?

A:“I had two groups of friends. I had this group of four boys that were my best friends since kindergarten, and then, starting my Junior year, I had 3 girlfriends that I made. I also was just friends with the marching band. I knew all of them first name, last name, siblings, all the stuff about them.”

Q: What classes did you enjoy in high school?

A: “I really, really enjoyed marching band for one, but then all my art classes. So I took ceramics 3 years in a row, and I took drawing a couple years in a row, and then I did print photography, so we had a dark room. I loved that class, it was awesome. And then my Senior year I did an Independent Art Study. We had block scheduling, so I would have Calculus one morning, and then I would spend the next three hours doing whatever I wanted, but art related, and everyone loved art so we actually did that, we didn’t just leave school and do nothing. Sometimes we went to lectures at the Nelson or sometimes we did a collaborative piece for the school, stuff like that.”

Q: Now you teach Maths which is very different from art, why did choose that career path if you liked art so much?

A: “I think I picked Math because Math was really hard for me in high school, and so I had to have teachers that were willing to work with me me everyday, and so I built really good relationships with them. I did do art school for a while, so I did attempt that, but I just realized that that wasn’t a way I could support myself in life. Independence was important to me. Kinda reflecting back on high school, it was my Math teachers that I had relationships with. I didn’t have to ask my other teachers anything. I liked that In Math you have to ask, and have to build a relationship. You can’t just wing it.”

Q: What things in high school shaped you?
A: “Both my parents lost their jobs when I was a Junior. So I felt like I had to take on the roll of earning income and taking care of them. I got a job at Applebee’s, and I worked there probably 30 hours a week, and then I also got a job at a country club, which in turn ended up paying for my college. I started to carry a burden for my parents, and it sort of led me to want to become a teacher, which sort of led me to have more of a heart for lower income, and really feel for my parents.”

“Also my dad lost his job at a church, essentially the inside of the church fell apart, and he in turn got let go, and it really burned him, and so that kinda led me down a three year road of, ‘Do I believe in God? If this is how terrible church is, why would I join one? Why would I care?,’ and it kinda just led me down that path in taking ownership of my faith verses just listening to what everyone else says.”

Q:What was the most important thing you learned in high school?

A: “I learned the importance of standing up for people.  In high school there is/was so much gossip and people being terrible to each other! On several occasions I would call out upperclassmen during class about how rude or demoralizing they were being to someone. I would actually stand up in class and yell to prove my point. I probably should have been beaten up but the injustice irked me to no end!!  For whatever reason they listened when I did this.”

Q:What is the best advice you can give high schoolers now?

A: “I would definitely say that you should 1) not date seriously! The ocean gets SO MUCH BIGGER AND BETTER later on!  2) Defend the people around you when needed, don’t just sit back and let it happen, even if you are scared.  3) Get a job! I learned so much about people working at Applebee’s for 4 years.  I learned a lot about who I wanted to be and who I certainly did NOT want to be at that job.  4) Don’t take yourself too seriously! Take risks and be vulnerable! It’s great practice for the rest of your life!”

Q:What rebellious teenage activities did you do?/ what did you do to spite your parents?

A: “I was a pretty good teenager!  My parents were constantly accusing me of things that I never really did.  The only rebellious thing that I did was sneak out late at night senior year to go skinny dipping and smoke cigars (ironically in the pond that my parents church baptized people in).   My best friends were HIGHLY rebellious in most aspects (drugs, drinking, boys) but I felt like the best way to love them was to simply take care of them when things fell through which meant that I was at the parties, simply taking in everyone’s stupidity.”

Q:How important did you see school as?

A: “I took school pretty seriously! I really believed that working hard would get me what I wanted in life.  And it did!  Those teachers who I built relationships with were the teachers I stayed in touch with, who write me reference letters, who helped me get a job, who helped me apply to become a teacher.  I don’t know that I believe the content within the classes was necessarily important but I believed in the struggle that you could overcome.  That is what shows people you are worthy of their attention.”