Track Training

Track Training

Seniors Maya Mastin and Joel Connealy pass a medicine ball back and forth to train.

Mallory Mong, Staff Writer

As track season starts up, senior Luke Rovenstine runs the pre-season team training, incorporating all sorts of workouts. The training helps the athletes bond as a team before the season actually begins and helps them get a feel for what the season is going to be like.

“I usually lead track training and our practices center around running three days a week in order to get our miles in,” Rovenstine said, “and going to the gym to workout.”

The track athletes will go on runs at different times throughout the week, but they typically work out arms and abs in the gyms on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sometimes, they even go off campus.

“ [Head track coach Lisa] Painter has given us some free passes to the gym that she worked at so that has been nice,” senior Maya Mastin said.

The track program is not allowed to officially  start school practices until a certain point in the year. KSHSAA rules state, “Practice shall not be held prior to Monday of Standardized Calendar Week #35.”  Week #35 begins March XX.

This allows teams to start to train on their own, but their coach cannot be present. So, team members can use this time to get themselves and everyone in shape, conditioned, and ready for the upcoming track season.

“This helps us by getting stronger and more prepared for the season, so we don’t feel like we’ve lost everything as the season starts,” Mastin said, “And [it]helps us to be in shape more, so we’re even more prepared for the regular season.”

This will hopefully give the team a distinct advantage.

“It gives us an advantage as it allows us to come into the track season prepared and ready to start off with harder workouts, that we wouldn’t be able to do without winter training.” Rovenstine said, “It gives us an edge over our opponents because we’re more prepared than they are.”

Being a smaller school, track athletes have more opportunities to excel at certain events. Where in larger schools coaches would have to hold tryouts, here students are able to compete in the event they see themselves competing in.

“We can only put a certain number of people in the events, so it’s nice [to have small numbers]. Opposed to a big team where 10 people wanted to do the 800, we have three people who want to do it, so they all can participate,” Mastin said. “But sometimes it is hard when you’re doing a relay race and trying to find people that want to be a part of the relay or are able to run the distance and find the time to be a part of it.”

Winter training does have its challenges, mainly students’ packed schedules.

“The only negative side is trying to juggle everyone’s schedules and accommodate for the various activities and jobs we might have,” Rovenstine said. “We all would love to run every day, no matter what, but sometimes life gets in the way and we all have to compromise.”