Senior highlight: Emmanuel Fleming

Senior Emmanuel Fleming wins Homecoming King.

Hannah Denne, Staff Writer

Q: What’s your favorite color?

Greenish, with more dimensions. That was a joke. That’s what Siri says. But my favorite color is green.”

Q: What’s your Spanish name?

Soy Ernesto.”

Q: Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Tonganoxie, Kan..”

Q: When did you come to KCC?

I came to KCC second semester of my sophomore year.”

Q: When was the first time you heard about Jesus?

“Well I always knew about Jesus, because my grandfather was a pastor. I rode with him to church every week, and he lived in Wyandotte County, and he would go to Tonganoxie and pick me up and take me and my brothers to church. I grew up with that strong foundation. It wasn’t like, ‘Hey, you’re going to church,’ ‘A’ight,’ – I enjoyed church because it was something I could wrap my head around, something I could be included in, I had a purpose there. It’s a small church so everyone did their part. I was an usher – I still am an usher, actually – and I get to do a lot of fun stuff. Now I’m a youth minister, I do work with inner city kids. We have family fun nights. We just had one, and we play games like Bible baseball and Bible jeopardy and stuff. It’s such a fun time we have. No, but I’ve always known about Jesus – I got away from the question.”

Q: Who’s someone in your life who’s really impacted you?

“My mom has really impacted my life, because throughout our struggles – more so her struggles than anything – she never gave up the faith, and she was always true to what she was taught and all the things she learned in her life regarding Jesus and her moral standards and how to treat people. That’s really translated to my relationships with people, not only here but also in Tonganoxie.”

Q: What’s your favorite thing about KCC?

My favorite thing about KCC is that personally I have more opportunities. I mean that like, I never would have done half the stuff that I have [done], and that’s where I have to give Mr. Miller a lot of praise. Mr. Miller opened up a lot of opportunities for me that I’ve never had, and I’m really appreciative of that. There’s other people too, like previous teachers who aren’t here anymore.”

Q: What’s your favorite thing about your class?

This class of mine – they’re very committed to what they believe in. There’s a lot of strong, virtuous people that I have around me, and they all come from different walks of life. It’s fun to hear their stories, and hear where they’ve come from, and all the love they have to offer.”

Q: What would you like to do after this year?

“I would like to pursue a career in the culinary arts, but I would also like to enhance my acting abilities… So, I foresee a lot of fun in my college years.”

Q: What do you wish you could tell your younger self?

It does matter, what we do here. Despite the tediousness of it, it all serves a purpose. Everything that happens in life has a purpose. I’d say to him, ‘You weren’t created without purpose.’”