A joyful noise

A joyful noise

Freshmen Macy Howard and Abigail Monahan and junior Elise Gamble warm up in choir practice.

Hannah Denne, Staff Writer

Every day, eight girls throughout the high school come together every day in fourth hour to sing and laugh and hang out.

The choir, previously called the 79th Street Singers and renamed this year to “Cantare”, or “sing” in Latin, is constantly ebbing and flowing.

“We’ve had a new teacher almost every year, starting with Mr. Light, and now with Mrs. De Boer.” senior Nora Dooley said. “Because of that, each year has been almost a completely new program, with different styles of teaching and music. I think that’s partly why we’ve had such different groups of people each year. It’s always interesting to see how many guys we get.”

Last week, the choir went to a nursing home to sing hymns. One of the reasons they chose this particular nursing home was because of a resident named Martha, a life-long prayer warrior, who they could pray over after they sang.

“It was just so beautiful to be able to bring a smile to her face and to be able to pray over a woman who has prayed for so many people,” Dooley said.

The small group has grown close through experiences like this, experiencing unique moments together that most of the rest of the student body doesn’t even know about – all because of their shared love of music.

“Some of my best memories and greatest friends were made in choir because we shared the same joys and struggles of creating music together,” choir teacher Rachel DeBoer said.

As the Christmas season grows ever nearer, the choir is preparing for the big event of the semester: the Christmas concert. This year, Cantare is again collaborating with the middle school choir and the jazz band to put together the show, and they hope students will come and celebrate the holidays with them in the best way they know how. They especially hope more students will be inspired by the performance and get involved in music.

“Making music, whether it’s in choir, band, or in your own private study, requires dedication and hard work; it doesn’t happen overnight,” DeBoer said, “Like any other skill, if you are willing to put in the effort and time it takes to become really good at it, you will enjoy the benefits later on.”