High school boys basketball begin their season with high expectations

Last year at the Court Warming game, junior Mitchell Paul takes on an opponent. This year the team has grown by two players with the majority returning. Their first game is Dec. the fifth in the Central Heights tournament.

Cooper Rovenstine, Staff Writer

The tryouts are over and the boys basketball season is taking off. This year nine seniors will be on the varsity team. Since the boys only lost one player from last year, the team has a significant opportunity for the players to build on their previous years playing together.

“I see a lot of strides toward better team building,” head coach Adam Runyan said.  This has put us in a place to have a better chance of success this year.”

Last season was viewed as a developing season for the boys. This year they are looking to work on the foundation they built last year.

“The team is for sure looking much better than last year,” senior Mitchell Paul said. “Everyone has gained strength and speed. Also we have a few new players joining us.”

Senior transfer Riley Dougan played last year at Blue Valley Northwest and will be playing on the varsity team. Along with Riley, senior Nate Streeter tried out and made the team because he said he would regret it if he did not play his senior year.

“The new additions we have this year and guys from last year will do more for us and will make our team much stronger this season,” Runyan said.

Junior Noah Tally said that while the team does have an abundance of talent, they need to develop the players’ individual talents to benefit the team.

“We need to commit to the process and put in the work required if we are wanting to see positive results,” Tally said.

Paul loves the team’s numbers and thinks they will only see benefits from the increase in the program’s size. Last year, there were 12 varsity players. This year, there are 14 on varsity and 25 playing all together.    

“The team is relatively big which will create healthy competition for playing time and starting positions,” Paul said. “I am very excited for what lies ahead. It will be a very good year for KCC basketball.”

Sophomore Marc Trujillo could not be more excited for the season.

“We have an old, strong team and we are planning on a unforgettable season,” Trujillo said.