Girls tennis takes second at State

Girls tennis takes second at State

The tennis team holds their second place state plaque.

Cooper Rovenstine, Staff Writer

“The most successful girls team in our school’s history,” athletic director Josh Poteet said.  

That statement summed up the girls tennis season. The team, coached by Brian Miller and Anne Stringfield, competed in the State tournament this past weekend, bringing home the second place trophy. Freshman Lilly McNeill placed third in singles, junior Anna Vialle and senior Molly McNeill placed third in doubles, junior Ryan Jantsch finished 12th in singles, and seniors Callie Eldred and Alexis Termini placed 11th in doubles.

Despite the team’s success, the path to State runner-up wasn’t completely smooth.

“We were expecting to win, but ended up losing by two [points]. However, we are still happy with how we did,” Jantsch said.

Lilly McNeill  was projected to win her match in the semifinals to place second overall, but unfortunately lost. However, she had a good game after that, securing her the third place spot.

“I knew I was prepared for the match. I just had a really bad loss” Lilly McNeill said.

Regardless of the loss, the coaches think that third place is nothing to be upset by.

“I think their goal was to win State, but to not have gotten that high before I think that that is a huge success. They played tough competition and held their own” Poteet said.

The coaches of the girls were extremely proud with how they competed against their opponents.

“Lilly McNeill came in as a freshman [and] got third. She was expected to take second. She beat the number one singles player in the state of Missouri, so we are excited for her to get some state championships,” Stringfield said.

Overall, the girls had a fantastic tennis season, finishing second as a team in state.

“The season overall was awesome, and I can’t wait for next year!” McNeill said.