Homecoming as a freshman

Freshmen Ben Pivovar, Mathew Birkner, Chase Hill, Andrew Brannon, and Melvin Fin dancing at Homecoming.

Michael Holst, Staff Writer

A first high school dance can be a memorable night. Plans go into the asking and the outfit and the restaurant choice. Sometimes things don’t go according to plan though.

“I asked her by making a Dum-Dum flower and a Smarties vase,” freshman Andrew Brannon said. “It said ‘be a Smartie and take this Dum-Dum to Homecoming.’ Then [freshman] Chase [Hill] broke it. The morning that I was going to ask her, he picked it up and the Dum-Dum part fell out and Dum-Dums went all over the floor.”

Brannon recalled his comical experience asking his date to homecoming. Later that day, both his and Hill’s mom came to make him another one.

As happens every year, the freshman class experienced their first dance this fall.

“The dance was about what I expected it was going to be,” freshman Chloe Breth said. “It was a lot of fun, and I really liked dancing and bonding with my class.”

The freshman class decided that they would all meet as one big group before the event. They all met at freshman Matthew Birkner’s house for dinner, then went to Sar Ko Par Park to take pictures.

“We have a small enough class that it worked out well for us to all be in the same group,” freshman Morgan Anderson said. “I liked that we were all able to be together for our first dance.”

Once they arrived at the school, they were finally able to experience their first high school dance.

“It was very tiring dancing in formalwear,” freshman Noah Banes said. “I was breaking a sweat. One time when we were jumping my suspenders almost popped, so you know I was dancing pretty good.”

Banes recalled his experience during his first slow dance.

“During the slow dance I would be talking to a guy next to me,” Banes said. “But [freshman Jenna Bickelhaupt] would want to talk to the other girls, so she would slowly dance that way. I’d be in the middle of a conversation and she’d just start moving me, and I had to go with her.”

Both Banes and Brannon said that they hadn’t thought about Homecoming in middle school.

“Our class didn’t talk [about Homecoming] at all in middle school,” Brannon said. “At least not the boys.”

Breth and Anderson, however, said that the girls in their class talked about the dance often.

“We talked in middle school a lot about how fun we thought it was going to be,” Anderson said.