Cross Country Traditions: Team Mom

Cross Country Traditions: Team Mom

Senior Maya Mastin runs at the Rim Rock Cross Country meet.

Hannah Breth, Staff Writer

While the boys cross country team practiced on a Tuesday afternoon for their upcoming State meet, they decided to run to team mom, senior Maya Mastin’s house to say hello. They finished the rest of the practice outside of her house while she rushed to bring them all water and encourage them as they prepare for their state meet this Saturday.

Mastin has run cross country all four years of high school. This year, Mastin is the team mom and the only senior girl on the team.

“As team mom, I bring the team mom blanket to every meet and wash it after every meet,” Mastin said. “I also make sure that everybody’s got everything that they need and [that] they’re cared for and encouraged.”

Being a part of the cross country team can be grueling, it is also a community-building sport. This year especially, the team has done a lot of fun things together, building on their well-loved past traditions.

“One night before the Conference meet, [the team] just showed up outside of my house to shoot off fireworks,” assistant coach Micah Conkling said, “We ended up just hanging out in my backyard.”

As team mom, Mastin schedules a lot of the team activities that happen outside of regular practices.

“The midnight run this year was really crazy because a couple of girls got lost and [junior] Olivia Price got stuck in a rose bush and then we all went back to IHOP and ate a bunch of pancakes”  Mastin said.

At every meet so far this year, Mastin has come ready, taking her role seriously.

“She makes me really confident about races when I get nervous,” sophomore Libby Paul said.  “She always cheers on the whole team.”

After four years of participating in cross country, Mastin prepares to pass on the team mom legacy.

“I’ll miss all the little traditions, and how close the team is,” Mastin said. “The girls are like my sisters and the guys are like our annoying brothers because we’re just one big happy family.”