Forensics team takes regionals

Forensics team takes regionals

Maddie Cates, Staff Writer

The Regionals forensics team got up early and traveled two hours away to Effingham, Kan. to compete at Effingham High School on Saturday morning. After several hours of intense competition, which included duet acting, improv duet acting, humorous solo acting, and poetry and prose reading, several students qualified to compete in the State Festival forensics competition which will take place on April 30.

Unfortunately, a mix up happened and instead qualifying for State Championship, the forensics team qualified for the State Festival, which is a little different and less prestigious. However, those that had already qualified for State Championship are still able to go and that will take place on April 30 as well.

“More people than ever made it to State than ever before which was really exciting!” senior Kathryn McKenzie said.

“We’ve had more people qualify for state than we’ve  ever had before.” Added math teacher and forensics coach Brian Miller.

Juniors Nora Dooley and Patrick LaGue competed in duet acting, qualifying for State Championship.

“Patrick and I were really worried we wouldn’t make it because we went way over our allotted time and the judge gave us this really sad look as we left the room,” Dooley said. “But I guess she must’ve really loved it because she bent the rules and gave us a one! It was so exciting!”

LaGue also was surprised with the results.

“Coming out of the performance we were both a little bummed, thinking we had no shot at state,” LaGue said. “But when the results came out we were so shocked! It was a blast!”

“It’s really disappointing, but to everyone who went on Saturday and qualified, know that this one thing does not define you in any way,” Dooley said, “You all are such beautiful, talented performers, and one misunderstanding can never change that.”