4X800 team hopes for State

4X800 team hopes for State

Mitchell Paul, Staff Writer

With the boys 4×800 team placing sixth  and Savannah Ko finishing in second in pole vault at state last year, the track team gears up for the 2016 season. The team hopes to send more competitors to state as they have more incoming athletes on the team than last year.

“We have 21 freshman and sophomores. I’m really looking forward to what our team will be in the future,” track coach Ms. Painter said.

One of the main goals for the team is for the 4×800 team to medal at state in May. The 4×800 team has medaled the last six years at state.

“We have a lot of pressure on us this year. We have to live up to those expectations, and it’ll be harder since we had some seniors graduate last year,” junior Luke Rovenstine said.

Ms. Painter thinks the 4×800 team has a great chance to do well at state this year.

“It really just depends on how the region breaks up, but since we have all upperclassmen on the team, I think we have a great chance at medaling,” Painter said.

The team returns 2 key members from last season- senior Bryce Johnston along with Rovenstine. The pair will be accompanied by either junior Joel Connealy, sophomore Kyle Sykes, or senior Peter Biekmann.

“We’re definitely going to do better than last year. We had a freshman, sophomore, junior and senior and still did good last year. This year we are going to have an older team with at least three upperclassmen,” Rovenstine said.

To prepare them for the season ahead, Coach Painter and Coach John Ford have been putting them through intense workouts on a daily basis.

“Coach John has us running the right drills to work the right muscles so that we are able to improve our speed,” Connealy said.

The team has had an unfortunate start to the season in their first two meets. This start is due in part to the injury to lead runner Rovenstine.

“While it has been disappointing, it is still early in the season,” Johnston said. “Once we have a of our runners in shape and healthy, I think we will do a lot better.”

The team is looking forward to a fun, exciting season this upcoming year.

“I’m very excited for the season, I excited for everything it has in store for us,” Connealy said.