Inside an Association meeting

Bryce Johnston

Parents sign in for the Association meeting.

Bryce Johnston, Web Editor

It’s Monday night and the gym is in a flurry of activity. The usual noise of basketballs bouncing and shoes squeaking is replaced with the loud murmur of parents conversing and the scratch of a pen as each of them fill out their information on a sign-in sheet. As parents mingle, head of school Bill Glotzbach calls them to their seats. The parents file in and disperse among the gym ready to start the second Association meeting of the year.

Unnoticed by most students, the Association is the group responsible for running the big picture aspects of the school. Formerly called the Society, the Association meets twice a year with parents to discuss decisions and make parents aware of the state of the school. While many may find Powerpoints on enrollment numbers and budgets insipid, these meetings are actually crucial  in order to run KCC.

The meetings are controlled by elected board members of the Association. Being a parent-run school, KCC does not answer to a church board; it is largely managed by volunteers to assist  in directing the school’s future. This year’s board is supervised by board chair Brent Vander Ark who conducts most of the Association meeting.

Monday’s meeting was especially important because elections for next year’s board were held. The Association approved the nomination of candidates Brent Vander Ark, Brent Morris, Susan Price, Matt Streeter, and Brendon Jenks.

In addition to the elections, a booster club for KCC sports and other activities was introduced. Currently, about 98 percent of students participate in some extracurricular activity and this booster club would raise money to help get more funding for these activities.

Other than finances and elections, the main portion of the night was dominated by conversations on student life. Vice principal Amanda Wade and vice principal Amy McGruder introduced themselves and spoke to parents about KCC the unique problems students face, ranging from social media use to academic pressures.

An hour a half later, the meeting was over and parents mingled once again and discussed the presented topics. While students do not often see this side of the school, the decisions made during these meetings affect their everyday lives and proves  there is extensive amount of thought and work put into running a school.