The student news site of Kansas City Christian School

The lost art of communication

Olivia Price, Staff Writer

“Oh hi-bzzzzzzzzz”

“How are yo-bzzzzzzzzz”

“I’m-bzzzz bzzzzz”

Noise. It seems so present our society. It has become a part of everyday life. It chimes into our conversations. It is our go-to in an awkward situation. So what is this noise I’m talking about? Where does it come from?

This noise comes from a lot of different things, but mainly one in particular: our cellphones. since around the early 2000’s, a large portion of the population began to carry cellphones. These allowed us now to be able to communicate with anyone from anywhere. Cellphones improve efficiency, making it much easier to send an email or even type a report. They also make it possible for us to find out pretty much anything we want to know whenever we want to know it. We don’t have to meet up face to face anymore, because everyone was a text away. But despite all this apparent improvement in the way our society communicates with itself, it seems that we have actually lost the art of communication.

So, what is this art of communication? It is two people sitting having coffee, conversing with each other, not texting someone else. It is a group of friends being together, and actually talking with one another, and when there’s a lull in the conversation they don’t start browsing twitter or searching Instagram, they instead start a new conversation.

I’m not saying that cellphones are bad, but am saying we as humans seem to use them for too much. We just need to step away from them sometimes, and not let them get in the way of relationships.

The convenience of a cellphone has made us a socially lazy people. The ease of a text or speed of an email has taken away our drive to start a conversation. It has also satisfied the human tendency to desire instant gratification. Because we now have information right when we want it, our patience has shortened because we aren’t used to waiting for anything. This in turn makes our attentions spans shorter. We have unconsciously conditioned ourselves to switch from app to app if one is going too slow or boring us. This transfers into our real lives when we have conversations. The moment the conversation seems to bore us or slows, we instantly look to our cellphones for entertainment. I know I do it. If I feel awkward it seems my first instinct is to check the latest feed on twitter. In doing so, some relationships have now lost their substance. There are more shallow conversations and more,”Oh my gosh look at this vine it’s literally hilarious.”

So I suggest we rediscover this lost art. I propose that next time there’s a lull in conversation we stay present and take the initiative to begin a new one. Put down your cellphone, twitter can wait. It will still be there in an hour, but maybe the opportunity to have a meaningful conversation with good company won’t. Maybe if we choose to stop hiding behind our cellphones whenever it gets akward, it won’t be awkward the next time because we will have learned how to get past it. Maybe if we all put down our cellphones, we will finally get to really know the people behind them.

1 Comment

One Response to “The lost art of communication”

1. Jena Smith on January 28th, 2016 4:57 pm

I love this! Great work.

[Reply]

*

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

Christmas is here already….

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

Group chat phobia

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

Sticking up not sticking it out

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

My top 3 celebrity conspiracy theories

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

Do you see yourself on TV?

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

How to survive the robot apocalypse

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

Learning from experience

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

Following in their steps

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

Fear of Freedom of Speech

• The lost art of communication

Opinion

A farewell to all my old selves

The lost art of communication