Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens Review and Reactions

Peter Loganbill, Staff Writer

After what felt like an eternity of waiting for Star Wars fans, “Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens” finally came out a week before Christmas. While the film currently stands as the highest grossing film domestically, it looks like J.J. Abrams is going to have to settle for 3rd place worldwide, being unable to ascend over James Cameron’s two movie giants “Titanic” and “Avatar”.

The main criticism of the film has been the plot similarities between it and the original “Star Wars” movie. Math teacher Brian Miller, who remembers seeing the original movie in theaters does not believe that this is major problem.

“Although it had a lot of similar story lines as Episode 4, it still gave it in a fresh way, and it transitioned the old heroes to the new heroes pretty seamlessly, and made me look forward to watching the new heroes’ story,” Miller said.

Despite its flaws, the movie has been received very well.

“I really liked it a lot,” freshman Briley Burrow said. “I always liked Abrams. [His] story lines are usually pretty good.”  

The film called on fairly unheard of actors, including Daisy Ridley who played Rey and John Boyega who played Finn. This casting choice reflects the original Star Wars film which also used many unheard of actors. Mark Hamil who played Luke Skywalker had only been in a few TV shows before starring in “Star Wars: A New Hope” and Harrison Ford who played Han Solo  was just starting his career, having his first break out role in George Lucas’s “American Graffiti”.

“I would say some of the acting actually exceeded my expectations,” Bible teacher Nate Wright said. “With Rey and Finn. I enjoyed them.”

“The Force Awakens” definitely seems to be a part one of a longer story arc, leaving the viewer with many unanswered questions. Many viewers are wondering whose daughter Rey is, and how the governments of the Star Wars universe have changed and formed.

Although the film is flawed, its massive box office numbers and its positive reviews definitely make it worth going to see.