Basketball Recap: Varsity Boys vs. Oskaloosa

Junior Wyatt Palmer goes up for a layup.

Maya Mastin

Maya Mastin

Maya Mastin

Allie Owens, Staff Writer

Boys shoes squeak onto the court. The pom poms rustle as the team makes an entrance onto the court. It was the start of what proved to be an exciting game against Oskaloosa where KCC came on top, 75-39.

Junior Davis Gunnigle starts the game, winning  the toss for the Panthers. With an easy jump shot, Gunnigle makes use of his height and athletic ability. Junior Wyatt Palmer is soon fouled and he makes both of his free throws. Junior Mitchell Paul interrupts Oskaloosa’s offense, intercepting the ball, and then swing sit to Gunnigle who jumps and puts in another basket. Paul passes the ball straight to Gunnigle, who jumps and puts it past the defenders arms and in the rim in the same motion.

After a close call with feet scuffling under Oskaloosa’s basket, Gunnigle picks up the ball and floats another in. Palmer steals a pass, flinging it to Gunnigle, who shoots and scores, bringing KCC to 14-9. On the way back, Gunnigle takes two steps towards the basket and puts it in again off the left backboard. Oskolooska takes a shot, but Gunnigle smacks the ball blocks the shot, the crowd jumping to their feet, erupting in cheers.

Sophomore Noah Tally then brings the ball out, starting the second quarter 16-10. Paul steals the ball and passes to junior Sam Coleman, who is already mid-jump and hits the ball off the rim. After a turnover, Palmer swings the ball outside to Coleman, who looks for a pass, and seeing his teammates guarded but an open lane, drives in a ways and makes a shot from the high post instead. Palmer pulls a rebound, wheels it to Coleman, who swishes two points just short of the three point line.

KCC leads by 10. Paul makes a layup as the clock ticks down the remainder of the second quarter. Palmer is fouled and makes both of his free throws. The Panthers prevent Oskaloosa from scoring, and the clock ends the first half as the boys run to their locker room at 32-21. Fans trickled out of the gym, snacking on nachos and sour patch straws. A few minutes later, the boys run back on the court, excited to finish off the game. Gunnigle starts out the third quarter with a two pointer. Paul steals and scores, an follows shortly with a breakaway layup.

Up by 20 during the third quarter, Tally scores a layup and is fouled. Senior Jimmy Beatty scores a basket on his first play in the third quarter, with an assist from freshman Marc Trujillo. The team continues to hustle in the fourth quarter and their chemistry is very evident as KCC proves to be the stronger and smarter team. With two minutes left, KCC leads 70 – 38. Oskaloosa loses composure and becomes tired, and KCC takes the game; their final score almost doubling Oskaloosa’s.