Carrying the Fire

Senior Lucas Miller discusses his time at KCC

It’s Friday night and the Clymer Center gymnasium is alive with activity. Kids run around the packed basketball court yelling, taunting, and laughing with one another. A boy, not much older than 7, and his little brother enter into the chaos for the first time and are quickly greeted by a man named Kevin Cacy. Kevin asks the boys their names. The younger brother, eager to join the rest of the kids in their games, quickly shouts “Dorian” and runs off. The older brother hesitates and Kevin asks the question again. The boy looks up to Kevin. “My name is Lucas” he says.

Entering that gym all those years ago senior Lucas Miller didn’t know just how much his life would change. After attending a couple of Freedom Fire’s Friday nights he began to get more involved in the programs that they offered.

“I used to always go to the tutoring programs,” Miller said. “I liked them as a kid because all my friends were there.”

“Lucas and his brother started to attend the tutoring programs and came to summer camps each year,” Kevin Cacy, Community Ministries Director for Freedom Fire, said. “I think that these were really the first steps in getting to know him and his family.”  

After spending a few years watching Miller grow up, Cacy offered his mother the opportunity to send him to Kansas City Christian School. For her, it was an easy decision. The next year he would start fifth grade at KCC.

While switching schools is tough on most students, Miller didn’t think much of it at the time.

“I knew I would be leaving my old school [Woodside Elementary] soon to go to middle school, so it wasn’t a huge deal leaving my friends,” he said. “It was a little different to adjust to all the new personalities. It was different. Not bad different. Just different.”  

Senior Nate Ward remembers when Miller first came to school.

“I thought it was really cool because I had seen him around at Freedom Fire stuff,” Ward said. “He was always funny but in a quiet sort of way. He didn’t get wrapped up in what others thought of him.”

Miller adjusted quickly to the new environment and, like at Freedom Fire, quickly got involved in the school. His ability to willingly take on any new opportunity presented to him has always pushed him forward and high school was no different. As a freshman Miller was willing to try just about any activity whether it was debate or basketball.

“He’s strong-headed,” Cacy said. “He’s willing to try just about anything that’s offered to him.”

When the two other students in his class from the Freedom Fire program left the school their freshman and sophomore year, it didn’t bother him. Miller credits his involvement in the school for this. Even though he had grown up with these boys, his identity wasn’t tied to them. He had become a part of the school just as the school had become a part of him.

Now as a senior Miller has begun to think of the future. For his last year here at KCC he’s made sure to watch over his sister, seventh grader Asianae Boston, and lead her through the trials and hardships of middle school. Next year Miller plans to either attend college or join the Navy in order to one day serve as a police officer. He says he wants to stay in Kansas City and build his life here, providing for his family and acting as a role model for his siblings.