Girls tennis team clenches first at Regionals

Sophomore+Anna+Vialle+stands+ready+at+the+Regionals+tennis+meet+on+Oct.+9.+Vialle+went+on+to+place+first+in+singles.+

Sophomore Anna Vialle stands ready at the Regionals tennis meet on Oct. 9. Vialle went on to place first in singles.

The varsity girls tennis team played in the Regionals tournament on Oct. 9 at Harmon Park. Each of the six players found success in their matches.

Sophomore Anna Vialle placed first and sophomore Ryan Jantsch placed fifth in the singles tournament. Juniors Callie Eldred and Alexis Termini placed first and sophomore Sophie Hill and freshman Emma Wheeler placed fifth in the doubles tournament. Everyone who competed qualified for the varsity girls tennis State tournament.

The team ended up placing first in Regionals for the first time since 2011 and only the third time since 2006.

Head coach Brian Miller was very proud of the girls’ performance. The team did, however, add some unwanted difficulties as each of the four teams went down by multiple games in at least one of their matches.

“I really loved their fight,” Miller said. “All four teams were losing at one point but then they kept going and ended up winning.”

Assistant coach Anne Stringfield said that she was pleased with how the team played.

“They were ready to go both mentally and physically. They played really well.”

Termini was encouraged by her chemistry with Eldred, her doubles partner.

“We played really well,” Termini said, “We worked together, figured out what we were doing wrong and synchronized together. We did make some mistakes but we fixed them.”

Coming off the recent win, Jantsch was optimistic for the future of the program.
“We played great,” Jantsch said. “We really stepped up as a team to win Regionals for the first time since 2011. And we don’t have any seniors so we can progress even more next year.”