New finals policy brings mixed opinions

New finals policy brings mixed opinions

This year, the school has implemented a new policy for finals. There will no longer be a designated week for finals and students are no longer allowed to opt out of finals. The creation of this policy was created by the high school teachers, with math teacher Brian Miller being the spokesman for the policy, and has been received with conflicting views by students.

“The old [policy] was a terrible waste of everybody’s time,” Miller said. “It may have started out as a good idea, but over time, it has become ineffective. Without everybody opting out, you can get a clear gauge of what everyone has learned that semester. Students would come in and do 30 percent and then leave because they knew that it affected [their grades] very little.”

Miller when on to explain why the new finals format was necessary.

“Different disciplines need other forms of finals,” Miller said, “not just tests.”

He later supported his statement by giving the example of Spanish teacher Paige Patton giving an oral exam and English teacher Micah Conkling having students create a writing portfolio for their finals in order to better assess their classes’ learning.

Junior Ben Johnson and sophomore Sophie Kieffer voiced their opinions on the finals policy as well.

“Overall, I like it, “ Johnson said, “but I don’t like that you can’t opt out because it doesn’t give you any motivation to work hard during the year.”

Johnson later said something that he did not like about finals week.

“I didn’t like that the week of finals was basically a joke because only certain people would show up.”

Kieffer also saw problems with the old finals schedule.

“I didn’t like the way the finals were spread out,” Kieffer said, “ I could have one final on one day and six another day. It made it hard to study and sometimes I had to be at school all day to take one final.”

But, Kieffer did see a benefit to this year’s finals format.

“I expect more comprehensive projects than massive tests this year,” she said.

“I think this year’s finals will be a more accurate assessment of what I actually learned.” Johnson said, but he also countered with, “I wish they were back to the way they were before.”

"Taking away finals exemptions takes away students incentive to do well during the semester. I wanted to exempt from them." -junior Hogan Spencer
“Taking away finals exemptions takes away students incentive to do well during the semester. I wanted to exempt from them.”
-junior Hogan Spencer