Spiritual Formation Group revamps chapel for the school year

Spanish+teacher+Paige+Patton+and+junior+Paige+Hardt+laugh.+Patton+is+the+Spiritual+Formation+Group+leader+for+the+year.+

Bryce Johnston

Spanish teacher Paige Patton and junior Paige Hardt laugh. Patton is the Spiritual Formation Group leader for the year.

Jessica Steggerda, Staff Writer

Junior Nora Dooley stands with a spiral notebook in hand as she explains to the student body the new plans for chapel. She lists off things to pray for and describes what each Monday will look like. After a few years of struggling to make chapel effective, the school has a plan.

A select group of students meet every Thursday to grow in faith and improve the spiritual community of the school.

“We’re going to make it better for students and more interactive,” sophomore Abby Swafford said, “and try to make it less of a dread to go to, because most people don’t want to go to chapel.”

Each student that is a part of this group had to apply a year in advance. The administration then chose 10 students who they thought would be best for the group with the help of their leader, Spanish teacher Paige Patton.

“The students who applied were ready to step up to the plate and say, ‘I want to be a leader and I want to be a part of making things happen and changing things up,’” Patton said. 

The students want to try and change the structure of chapel to make it more interactive and engaging for the student body. This year there will be many guest speakers that the group hopes will appeal to the students.

“As of now, the students are coming up with people that they know,” Patton said, “that they think would be interesting for everyone to hear from.”

The students in the group have come up with the theme for the year: Get Uncomfortable.

“We want to get people out of their comfort zone,” Swafford said, “but in a way that challenges them.”

The group meets every Thursday during discipleship time to discuss the upcoming weeks and get everything coordinated for chapel.

Each student has a responsibility in the group: emailing the guest speaker, figuring out the sound and worship for the week, or just brainstorming what the student body wants.

“We are going to be doing stuff like bringing in speakers,” senior Peter Loganbill said, “and getting the student body to feel uncomfortable in their faith through various activities.”

They also pray for their time every week.

“[We] really try to think about what the students can get out of this time together,” Swafford said.

Students sit in a circle as they share ideas for next week's chapel. The spiritual formation group has met every Thursday since the beginning of the year.
Students sit in a circle as they share ideas for next week’s chapel. The spiritual formation group has met every Thursday since the beginning of the year.