Cast List Announced for Fall Musical

Cast members ready to take on their new roles

Bryce Johnston

Students crowd around the high school bulletin board to see what role they would play in the upcoming fall musical “Bye Bye Birdie”.

Bryce Johnston, Staff Writer

It’s 2:58 p.m. on Sept. 16  and the hall is empty. Posted on the high school announcement board is the cast list for the upcoming fall play “Bye Bye Birdie”. The bell rings and students stream out of their classrooms ready to head home after a long day of school. A crowd of freshman girls still in their P.E. uniforms quickly clump together just outside of the high school office hoping to see their name on the list of cast members. Soon other students joined their ranks jostling to get a picture of the newly announced cast. High fives were exchanged and there was an overall buzz of excitement.

Auditions for the fall musical were held the previous week by drama teacher  Brian Miller and his wife Leah Miller, the director of the musical. After school, it was a common sight to see students pacing the halls in preparation for their audition. For many, this was their first time auditioning at KCC.

“Auditions were new for me,” senior Alec Downs said. “At first I didn’t really want to do it but then I thought maybe this could be a new experience for me.”

Downs was cast as the titular character Conrad Birdie.

Freshman Hannah Denne had an opportunity to view the list early but decided to wait until her friend got out of class to check the board.

“I was really excited to see my part because I’ve never really gotten a part that I’ve tried out for,” Denne said.

Many students echoed this sentiment and were simply glad to be involved no matter what part they got.

“I was happy that I got into the show because I have been a part of shows that I haven’t gotten into, so it was was a huge relief to see my name on the list,” freshman Isabel Van Vossen said.

While sophomore Ian Ko did not get a lead role, he was happy with his part as bartender, saying that he was felt it was a good first role for him.

“I was scared of the audition at first but then I started to have fun with it,” Ko said. “I didn’t get any of the roles I tried out for but that’s probably good. It would take a lot of effort to be the lead, and I’m not sure I’d be able to make that commitment since this is my first role in a school play.”

Cast members are preparing to be a part of one of the largest productions KCC has seen in recent years. For much of the cast the most nerve-wracking part is over, and it is now time to move on to the work ahead.