On KCC Dress Code

On KCC Dress Code

Olivia Madderom, Editor-in-Chief

I want to be clear that I’m not in support of a dress-code free school or of wearing whatever you feel like. I am in support of modesty, and I believe that modesty is less about the clothes you wear and more about your approach to life. While I understand that modesty is relatively subjective, I don’t like or agree with the system that KCC has in place.

I’ve had four dress code violations in this past school year, ranging from wearing a coat in class during the winter to a sweater over a maxi skirt (the sweater was a boat top neck, which means you could see my thick sports bra straps). Teachers have pulled me aside and talked to me as well without counting it, as happened with wearing a V-neck Royals shirt during a spirit day, even though I was wearing a tank top, which was visible, under it.

However, me being me, I have stopped multiple people in the hallways to ask them about their experiences with dress code. Once in particular, I talked to a sophomore boy who wore the same sweater, multiple times, that I had worn before, with the name of a fraternity printed on it, and he had yet to receive a dress code violation. I see people wearing leggings, sweat pants, or skirts or shorts that very astutely climbed above the guideline, and more often than not I have found that they do not have any dress code violations. The day I was “caught” for wearing pants I had worn multiple times last school year, I stopped two girls, one of which had on black sweat pants and the other who had on shorts that rose much higher than mid-thigh. Neither had gotten a dress code, and one had a teacher comment how much she liked her sweats.

My conclusion is this: I am one of a few people who feel targeted by an overly subjective dress code.

I know that this is coming from a raw nerve that has been pinched too many times. So what is going to be my response? I can post a picture collage of all the things I’ve gotten in trouble for on social media and attract feminists’ attention. I can complain about it and rant to my private education supportive parents. I can do nothing, and simply grit my teeth counting down the days until I’m able to wear cotton pants and coats. I can take the correction and second guess everything in my closet that doesn’t pass school guidelines, or I can calmly comply.

I have chosen to calmly comply until the day when I thought that wearing an XL sweater over a floor length skirt which should not make me blush in embarrassment and receive a threat of another detention.

I can’t get the question the poet T.S. Eliot asks, “Do I dare disturb the universe?” out of my head. In Cormier’s novel “The Chocolate War,” the main character dares to disturb his universe. He fights against an internally institutionalized gang at his Catholic high school. He ends up regretting it, pleading with a friend after he had been severely beat up  to go along with the system. I do not know the author’s true intention, but what I inferred is that if you disturb your universe, the universe fights back.

So here I am, writing my opinion against the dress code. I am uneasy that I’ll regret disturbing my “universe” with this, afraid that Mr. Williams will censor this opinion, worried that I’ll start something that’ll hurt my relationships with administration, nervous at how my adviser and fellow staff members will respond to this, and overall fearful that the point I’m wanting to make will be lost in miscommunication.

But do I dare? Do I dare disturb the universe that I’m living in at school, were I feel most times like walking on eggshells after picking out outfits to wear? My point is that I shouldn’t feel embarrassed for wearing “inappropriate” pants or XL sweaters. I don’t think that feeling angry at the many people who seem to slip through the cracks is misplaced, and I think that our dress code is too weakly enforced and overly subjective, especially toward the ladies.

I want a dress code that’s equally enforced and less subjective.

This opinion scares me, it frightens me to open up and be vulnerable and oppose something that the school sets in place. I’ve attended here since Kindergarten, my dad is on the school board and has been for eight years and my mom volunteers with almost every event the school puts on. Pointing out an error, or what I believe to be an error in the school that I love, to the people who want what’s best for me is definitely disturbing the universe.

I’m left wondering, questioning, should I publish this? Should I write openly and honestly, about something people might not care about?

Yes, yes, I dare publish this, my thoughts on the inconsistent nature of the dress code. I dare to disturb the universe.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “On KCC Dress Code”

1. Savdaddy on May 18th, 2015 11:29 pm

LIIIVS. You are so inspiring and I love this story. Fight the power! Carpe Diem!

2. gray on June 5th, 2015 6:24 am

olivia, i know it’s summer and you’ll never see this — but this is really good. this is what i talked about for a year and a half. this is perfect.

3. james on May 12th, 2016 11:15 pm

Dare to eat a peach!

*

• On KCC Dress Code

A Mission for Spring Break

• On KCC Dress Code

Quiz: Where should you travel this summer?

• On KCC Dress Code

Freshman Mystery Chronicles: Katy Dekker, Installment #1

• On KCC Dress Code

News

Baby on Board

• On KCC Dress Code

Sports

A New Season Starting