Dress Code Changes

Dress code, something we all love to hate. KCC dress code has become notably less strict over recent years, and this year’s dress code has undergone a few minor changes.

The changes are as follows:

1. Turtlenecks are permitted instead of a collar.

2. All shirts must have at least cap sleeves and cannot be see through.

3. If more than two buttons are unbuttoned, a plain crew neck shirt (covers the collar bone) is needed under the button up or collared shirt.

4. Walking shorts, which typically end just above the knee, can be worn as long as they “cover a majority of the thigh at all times, when seated,” according to the student handbook.

5. A collared shirt is now needed to be worn under a ½ zip.

“We’re going to attempt to see in the near future if we can get the collar under the half zip rule changed, but we’ve only talked about it in Stuco meetings and nothing’s concrete,” Stuco president and senior Luke Gromer said.

Although dress code has slackened considerably over the years, the school still enforces a dress code and recognizes its value.

High school principal Ben Williams views dress code as a way to prepare students for the business world.

“For one reason [dress code is] an opportunity to learn how to interact with guidelines in an environment like you’ll have to do with a job someday. For two, it’s an opportunity for you to learn to express your own individuality within constraints that better our community,” Williams said.

The slogan “No dress code is perfect,” is typed at the very beginning of the Dress Code section in the student handbook to let the students know that even though much time and effort goes into the dress code each year, ultimately not everyone is going to like it, and there will be need for changes in the next school year.
“For high school, Mr. Williams has an exit meeting with the teachers each year and dress code is one of the topics. But the administration makes the final decision,” high school administrative assistant Nancy Payne said.