The beauty of being uncomfortable

The beauty of being uncomfortable

Olivia Madderom, Editor-in-Chief

I’m very comfortable leading the life I live. I have a warm bed, love in the home, a good GPA, and friends that I can count on. I like living well within my comfort zone, and well within the bounds of my community. I can thrive outside my friend group and fake a strong sense of being outgoing or branching out, but only for a short time.

It exhausts me.

Honestly, I’m most comfortable sitting in a chair by myself reading a book. Introverted or extroverted, both parties like to live where they’re comfortable. It’s basic human nature and like so many urges, we have to fight it.

There is beauty in making yourself uncomfortable; either in meeting new people, trying something you don’t know you’ll succeed at, making yourself vulnerable by being open and honest, or just doing the right thing even though it sucks.

15-year-old blogger Allison Lantagne said it best in one of her recent posts, “Sometimes in life, you’ve just got to be uncomfortable. I believe in being uncomfortable. I believe in being vulnerable and I believe in being real.”

Part of life is learning to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. Learning to own up to mistakes, take correction, deal with disrespect, and handle people taking advantage of times you were vulnerable. You have to know who you are, and not let grades, sports, friends or anything other than your character define you. Being open and vulnerable, making yourself uncomfortable, is a great thing.

Author, comedian and actress Amy Poehler said, and drum roll please,

“Vulnerable people are powerful people. Great people do things before they’re ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Bridging the gap, doing what you’re afraid of, getting out of your comfort zones, taking risks like that is what life is.”

I can assure you, living in a nice, easy routine and never rocking the boat has a desirable, gold and silver haze around it. Living life to the fullest as a teenager, and trying to finish the almost unachieveable amount of extra-curriculars and school work leaves hardly any time for sleep or Netflix. But we can’t go through life with our eyes glued to mirrors so we only ever see our reflection and our needs.

J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter created character Albus Dumbledore said, “There will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.“

So buckle down and get ready to follow impulses, get uncomfortable, get awkward, shake up your routine and maybe even rock the boat a little bit. Life is not a stroll through a garden, it’s a hike on unknown terrain.

1 Comment

One Response to “The beauty of being uncomfortable”

1. Karen Diedrich on January 15th, 2015 8:00 am

It is so refreshing to hear a teenager recognize the life options that will come at each of us, and to, with it, recognize the value of doing the hard thing sometimes. We all like our comfort zones, but to choose to do the hard things, the scary things, when we know that God has put us here to benefit others and glorify Him, will let us fall is bed at night with a smile on our face and a peace in our heart. Thanks Olivia! We all needed that reminder!

*

• The beauty of being uncomfortable

A Mission for Spring Break

• The beauty of being uncomfortable

Quiz: Where should you travel this summer?

• The beauty of being uncomfortable

Freshman Mystery Chronicles: Katy Dekker, Installment #1

• The beauty of being uncomfortable

News

Baby on Board

• The beauty of being uncomfortable

Sports

A New Season Starting