So, you have senioritis?

So, you have senioritis?

It’s Monday morning. The alarm begins to blare at 6:30 a.m., then again at 6:45 a.m., and again 15 minutes later. You have just enough time to get dressed, throw a lunch together, grab some breakfast to-go, and make it to school by 8:08 a.m. Seven 50-minute classes later and you are finally on your way home with a pile of homework. In a mere thirty minutes, you grab a quick snack and are off to your extracurricular activities. It’s 8 p.m. and you finally open your backpack and pull out your books, binders, and papers. When your head hits the pillow, the bedside clock reads 12:37 a.m.

A mere six hours of sleep later, the cycle repeats. And continues to repeat for each weekday. Making the weekends seem like a short gasp in the midst of running a marathon. And after four years of running this marathon called high school, no wonder students burn out.

Then there’s senior year, characterized by anxiety-inducing college applications, more college visits, college decisions and college scholarship applications. Can you blame students for beginning to check out by second semester senior year? After the rollercoaster of not knowing where your life is headed to the excitement of everything finally falling into place, the emotions of senior year takes its toll on students.

With a recent case of ‘burn out,’ my feelings toward school and homework are almost equivalent to that of Bender’s in “The Breakfast Club.” Senioritis is one of those infamous things that you are constantly warned of, but you never truly understand it until you experience it. I didn’t choose the senioritis life, it chose me. And I wish I had the cure, I really do. But I can’t seem to shake this senioritis. So this is a call out and request for the solution to the burn-out blues…anyone?